Stack Acrylic and Cardboard

In the Acrylic reductive stack I couldn't fit the last 'stack' in, this is because I didn't account for the fact that in between each layer there is a tiny bit of space which adds up over they many layers and so means by the final layer there isn't quite enough space- Therefore the frames aren't as secure as they could be however they do still hold the layers together quite well.

In the Acrylic reductive stack I couldn’t fit the last ‘stack’ in, this is because I didn’t account for the fact that in between each layer there is a tiny bit of space which adds up over they many layers and so means by the final layer there isn’t quite enough space- Therefore the frames aren’t as secure as they could be however they do still hold the layers together quite well.

In the Additive Acrylic I tried to create a sense of a  growing wave. The 'clip' join was very successful and the parts snapped and locked together. Unfortunately I did not take out the vertical lines on the square plane and the 'waves' therefore were separate rather than joined.

In the Additive Acrylic I tried to create a sense of a growing wave. The ‘clip’ join was very successful and the parts snapped and locked together. Unfortunately I did not take out the vertical lines on the square plane and the ‘waves’ therefore were separate rather than joined.

The cardboard reductive was successful and held in place however I could have used more layers or shortened the strip that went through it. It would also be interesting to try two strips going through as the layers can spin on the one strip like an axis but if i made a hole somewhere on the layer this may reduce the strength of the layers.

The cardboard reductive was successful and held in place however I could have used more layers or shortened the strip that went through it. It would also be interesting to try two strips going through as the layers can spin on the one strip like an axis but if i made a hole somewhere on the layer this may reduce the strength of the layers.

The cardboard additive was the weakest of the designs- the form doesn't really portray the concept successfully and some of the layers broke as a result of being to fine a detail- the stick going through was far too long as a result of using thinner cardboard than expected and this also meant it was not the correct width when going through the middle of the layers and has meant that if it was picked up the design would just fall apart. I think the concept of opposite planes would still secure the joins if the measurements were more accurate.

The cardboard additive was the weakest of the designs- the form doesn’t really portray the concept successfully and some of the layers broke as a result of being to fine a detail- the stick going through was far too long as a result of using thinner cardboard than expected and this also meant it was not the correct width when going through the middle of the layers and has meant that if it was picked up the design would just fall apart. I think the concept of opposite planes would still secure the joins if the measurements were more accurate.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s