In the final itterations of my Designs I encorperated MDF in a lot of them. I preffered using ths material due to the friction and also stablity of the material in cmparison to acrylic which was always slippery and didnt hold well when used as a pole or frame which a join I began to use n many of my last designs due its simplicity and efficent way of securing layers with a another interlocking face at the end.
A major challenge I found was actually using the laser cutter as I would have booked my allocated week time but my files would take longer to cut than I had time. Also with the 3D printers- The change in colour was a happy accident but I would be interested in looking at how to control this so I plan to have it happen in the future.
Although I produced an incomplete model, rather than one of my two or three plane ones from the beginning that worked- I felt that it was more important to show my progression and idea as I tried to explore something new rather than something from the start that doesn’t show my exploration with the digital fabrication tools to the same extent.
After numerous attempts I was pleased with the success of these joins as they snapped very tightly together creating a secure box.
I was impressed by the fine detail that the laser cutter produced and the effect of staggering the letters however it is extremly delicate as a result of the thin letters but they are protected by the strudyness of the frame.
This time I lightly wetted the wood to mold it into the curve shape and this assistance helped create a less rigid material to work with allowing the bend.
The stairs are able to move however I had antcipated the stairs to move fully around- If i re printed them I would look into raising the bottom stair so it doesnt catch and also creating an easier handle to twist the stairs
This reprint of the box was successful as the first time it interlocked and using the Uprinter resulted in a higher quality print meaning a stronger hinge join that didnt snap.
The necklace enhanced appearance of the box by making it more of a practical use for containing something.
Even though they were exactly the same join and size- some waves wouldnt snap into the frame- Sometimes it was a case of over use but other times it would never click in. I tried creating a bigger clip and again this only sometimes worked whch was odd as the frame hole and clip are all the same.
The MDF provded a secure hold in the corrogation of the carboard and I found that pairing these two materials worked well to create more friction
Using MDF as the frame meant that it was stronger and less prone to snapping as all the other attempts in acrylic had done so far.
All of the objects on the Frame.
The Multi Material worked well this time when encorperated a MDF frame rather than Acrylic as it wasnt as likely to snap and I like the connecton between it and the spehere on the inside.
I was really dissapointed about the tile game. When I arrved to pick up my model from the acid bath it had been taken out and appeared as though the tiles had snapped off and all the scalfoding inside had stll not come out. I think it would have needed more time in the acd bath but also for the pins underneath the tiles to be larger so they werent as fragile.
When I first tried putting the ball into the maze- the ball wouldnt move but then I realised if the layers were slightly seperated then there was enough room for it to move around. So in ordser to create that space and not have the layers forced together I tok out tw of the poleswhich creates more movement between the layers. I also used MDF as the poles instead of Acrylic which was to slippery and not a tight enough of a join.
Four Plane Corrugated Cardboard