Week 10

 

photo 3In reducing the size the pulley is more practical however as a result of using stacked slices it still isnt as smooth gradient between each slice as I would prefer.

HandledevThis was a sketch model of the handle. I was going to take this into 123D make and make it an intersecting form or use folded panels to construct it however through using this or 3D printing it the final product will be of a hard spiky material which will not be a pleasant thing to hold. The smooth folds are what feels comfortable to wrap your hand around when using the handle and 3D printing this would remove those qualities.

25141-667x500

Pulley_bracket_normal--SK90497-01

Ideas for a bracket for the pulley.

bracket2 bracketpinnut pinInitial idea for the pulley was a horse shoe like shape that would hang over a beam and secure the pulley inside it with a pin that allowed the pulley to rotate. I experimented with different triangle patterns at the base in order to incorporate the design from the folded paper.

housingballModel for the housing of the metal ball- the hole is big enough for the ball to be inserted at the side and the rope to be threaded through the top – the ball needs to be able to come out in order for one end of the wire to be attached. The base of the housing means that the ball has a floor to sit on when the rope has no tension on it. The concave top on it means the ball has a snug cavity to fit into which will allow the ball to act as a conductor with more ease.

housingwithballassembleIn this iteration- the ball would be 3d printed inside which would not have the risk of falling out of the hole that it was inserted into. My only concern is that the small scale means the print may not work well. This would make it difficult to attach wires to. Therefore both the wires could be attached at the top of the housing unit hole and the metal ball creates the connection between the two.

photo 4In order to understand the scale better before I printed the model, I produced a 1:1 scale drawing in which I was able to get a better understanding of whether it was the right dimensions.

photo 3photo 4

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 1.27.21 amBecause the rasterizing is not time efficient and would take a couple of hours to only do one square and this time isn’t available on the machinery, I have decided to only laser cut the pattern on the areas on the  paper that show up on the exterior when folded together. I want to continue with the nature pattern as it is an effective interesting design that reflects the concept of nature through leaf skeletons. In order to make this pattern I figured out the area on my prototype model and replicated this onto the illustrator file. This  pattern will represent also where the sound output would be through the small spot like design.

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 1.27.12 amI want to incorporate this pattern further in other areas of the design to continue the theme. I designed this pattern for the vinyl cutter which would cut out the pattern that could be stuck on all the faces of the handle.

bracketdev bracketdev3bracketsizedThis bracket incorporates the pulley into the design which eliminates the need for a pin to secure the pulley and bracket together. I experimented with different designs on the side to incorporate the triangular pattern that is present in the rest of the design however I think it will be a harsh pointed contrast to the softness of the paper form so I want to continue the idea that I am using for the handle with the vinyl cutter and have the leaf pattern on the sides of the bracket.

SHELVINGBALLAdding the flat plane on the back of the shelving will enable it to be easier attached to the circuit board. I made the gap bigger enough for the ball to be inserted in rather than printed inside as it will be easier to construct the circuit and attach the other elements to the ball.

photo 5The rasterizing onto tracing paper produced a different effect than I anticipated. It was similar to the effect that happened when I rasterized the denim fabric in my experiments. Rather than creating a reductive effect that lets more light in it created a print like effect appearing like an ink pattern that had be printed on. I like the white line work though and this will be more cohesive with the white vinyl on the bracket and handle. The tracing paper and white thin pattern adds a delicate fragility to the form in comparison to the raw dark brown that I was previously using. I think this softer approach is more relevant to the nature concept in which I am trying to express organic soft growing forms.

photo 2photo 3 photo 4The crisp clean fold that is achieved by the pattern being ‘precreased’ on the laser cutter.

photo 4 photo 5The pattern folded together and the light qualities of it.

I decided to change the arrangement of the light fixtures to all focus on where the pattern is as this is the point of interest in the design and I wan the light qualities of the pattern to be exposed as much as possible.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s